Wild World of Animal Behavior

Hey readers, thanks for stumbling onto my blog. I’m Tinh, a fourth year undergrad at UCLA. I’m studying ecology, behavior, and evolution while minoring in conservation biology. As a kid I’ve always been inspired by the wonders of the natural world. My first nature documentary was at the tender age of four… who wouldn’t be mesmerized by a purple, eight-legged swimming blob or transparent sack with small beads popping out of them? That was my recollection of seeing my first octopus and tadpoles emerging from their eggs.

I was always grateful to have an introduction to the natural world, even here at my suburban home. Growing up, I wanted to devote my passion and energy to learning about the world around us, and divulging that knowledge to viewers so they can experience the animal world for themselves. This winter I am embarking on a field expedition to Nicaragua where I will have my first hands-on experience on field ecology. I was be surrounded with (hopefully not swarmed by) animals ranging from the microscopic to the terrifyingly large. I hope to get a live experience of their true vitality in the field. How does a bird navigate through the dense groves and forests? How do dung beetles know where to roll that ball of poo? Are these dragonflies breeding or fighting? Can I find different animals during the day verses night? And, what’s that sloth doing there? Also…what’s that sound…

Although I’ve had plenty of experience doing lab work on animal behavior at UCLA, these were in controlled laboratory settings. Sure, studying hermit crab feeding interactions and growth patterns of invasive beetles was interesting, but I was missing the truly raw element of animal behavior. In the field I will be in their world. I shall lurk in the bushes, hand on my binoculars, the other on my notebook, and observe their world as it plays out. It is my job as an ecologist to make sense of the coded world of animal behavior.  I want to find as many cryptic species as I can, training my eye to spot a camouflaged wasp nests against a tree’s trunk… and prepare my running boots when I inevitably get chased. My walks through nature will be the spark that ignites my project. My project is to be decided, but my stirring passions will be the fuel that drives its completion. I hope you will join me on this adventure.

This blog is my first step to bringing the animal world back home, so others can feel the wonder and amazement that is out there. I hope to one day work on nature documentaries. So when I’m on PBS… please pledge and buy a $20 dollar mug!