A Farewell to Nicaragua

Tinh, before and after the field
Tinh, before and after the field

My time in Nicaragua has come and gone, but leaves a lasting imprint on my dreams for ecology. I remember clearly the feelings I had about Nicaragua prior to departure – a mixture of hopes and anxieties about venturing into this unexplored chapter of my life. I had hoped for awe-inspiring sights and sounds but was troubled by the prospects of understanding a system in only 3 short weeks. I thought it would be difficult finding an interesting organism to study. However, I was luckily very wrong. Strange and fascinating organisms emerged every single day, and it even became difficult to settle on the two systems for the projects. My fascinations mostly revolve around insects as their unique shapes and behaviors are full of mysteries left to be explained. I always kept an eye out for small movements, no matter how small, and was rewarded by finding a cascade of different insects performing all sorts of mesmarizing behaviors.

My projects centered around a golden ant and the leaf cutter ant, each with their facinating set of behaviors that allows them to thrive in the rainforest. However, I will never forget the diversity of insects which gave me a true appreciation for the rainforest ecosystem. It was this mesmorizing abundance of different colors, shapes, and behaviors that fueled my curiosity there, and has reaffirmed my passion for ecology and my pursuit to understand the mystical world of animal behavior. This passion for discovery helped me rise up early in the morning to carry out my two projects all the way until dusk. Despite the sore joints and the looming reality that the days are passing by, I felt envigorated knowing that my efforts every day will help build a clearer picture of the world they live in. It is this paradox that has always captivated me: our world and the animal world exist in the same place and time, yet it is the mysteries of their actions that creates this coded world of animal behavior. I aspire to gain the tools and knowledge to unveil the mysteries of this secretive world, hoping to bridge their world with ours through educating others about the wonders of animal behavior. Nicaragua is a blessed stepping stone in my pursuit in ecology. My transformation may not be apparent in my before and after picture, other than a moustashe, but Nicaragua has truly revolutionized my perspective on ecology. I entered the rainforest with my own set of hopes and dreams, and leave with even stronger ambitions to make those dreams a reality.