Memories of the Rain Forest

Jeff holding a Cloudy Slugeater snake
Jeff holding a Cloudy Slugeater snake

A week has passed since arriving back in Los Angeles, and my time in the rainforest is nothing more than a memory (one that is constantly reinforced by the analysis of the data we have collected). Since the time I have been back, I have recited my elevator pitch to almost everyone I have spoken to, including during an interview for a graduate school program. I am consistently asked how my time in Nicaragua was, and the most appropriate answer I can think of is “amazing”.

I had so many expectations going into the trip. It was my first time outside of the United States, so I was expecting to be essentially placed into a whole new world. In some cases it did feel like I was in an entirely unfamiliar place, especially during the night hike we took during our first night in Refugio Bartola. It was honestly a little overwhelming in the beginning, but as time progressed, I soon became adjusted to my surroundings. My childhood dream of traveling to the rainforest, something I had long given up on, was realized.

Like I mentioned in my previous blog post, one of the things I did not anticipate fully was the amount of hard work we would be doing. I was so used to the classroom setting that I did not consider that hiking miles through the rainforest is also a very valid teaching tool. That’s not to say that I did not expect to be working hard at all. I was fully prepared for what was thrown at me.

What made this trip so amazing is that I was able to devote my entire being to the experience. Without the distraction of cell phones and computers, there was no excuse not to take an opportunity to see something cool, such as a sloth or a cool insect that was brought back into camp. I knew that I would see a large variety of wildlife, but knowing you would see something and actually seeing it are two very different things. Looking back at my photos, I realize that nothing will ever be as good as actually being there. The excitement of seeing an animal in its natural habitat is something that will always stick with me.

In the future, if I am given the opportunity to travel to a rainforest setting (or anywhere else, to be honest), I would gladly say yes. This first traveling experience showed me that I really do love nature and that I want to experience more of it.